Living with Obesity/Obesidade

Question
Hello, my name is Emilia, I'm 17 years old, and I suffer with my weight, I'm in school called fat by my colleagues, and every time I'm sad about it, start eating excessively. I've tried dieting and stop eating, but nothing worked, what can I do?

Answer
Hi Emilia,
I'm very sorry about what you are going through at school.  That can be difficult and make a tough situation even harder.  Eating when stressed or emotional is best treated with counseling to find out why you started this behavior and they can give you some tips on how to deal with it and overcome it.  For me personally I had to find something more productive to do when I was stressed.  Exercise is a great way to release stress.  I started jogging/walking and I would think about all the things that were stressing me out and that would keep me moving.  Each day I would do just a little bit more or go a little bit faster.  Eventually I started to love jogging (at first I hated it) and now when I get stressed I just go to the park for a jog.  It doesn't have to be jogging but something productive that would help with both stress and help lose weight.  Don't let those other kids get to you and focus on you and your happiness.  Hope this helps and please try to seek out getting some help with this.  Good luck!

Living with Obesity

Kristina Crossway