Locksmithing/mold in safe

Fred wrote at 2013-05-05 15:09:27
I'm sorry, but the much of the what is stated above defies basic laws of physics.  First, there is no excuse for a safe manufacture to sell a safe that is constructed of we materials, unless they completely dry it prior to sale.  Second, the golden rod is a heater.  It works by heating the air in an enclosure hotter than the air was when it was open to the ambient air, thereby reducing the relative humidity to stop condensation.  By maintaining a higher temperature the air is kept above the dew point so that no condensation can occur.  In the case of a wet construction materials, the heat would not be able to maintain the low humidity, since additional water is is available from the wet materials.    The air in the safe will eventually reach 100 percent humidity,  The problems associated with moisture will return.  If power is lost to the heater for an appreciable period of time and the safe interior is permitted to cool, water will condense on every surface and material in the safe.    Desiccants work as long as the interior of the safe is not subjected to additional sources of water.

Andy wrote at 2013-06-22 21:30:59
While the writer is "partially" correct, concerning the "Golden Rod" being a heater, it only slightly becomes warm to the touch.   This slight rise in temperature DOES NOT heat the whole safe, the slight rise creates a convection current, causing the "warmed" air to rise and the cooler air to fall.

While the purpose is to keep the humidity at a low enough to keep relative humidity reduced, the air movement of the convection current ASSISTS the Golden Rod to perform this function.

Desiccants work fine as long as the amount of moisture that it contains is below the amount that it can hold.   Rechargable desiccant units, allow you to remove the "stored" moisture to allow the unit to continue to work.

NONE of this "DEFIES" any law of physics, but they do use them to function correctly.

Sorry, Fred but you need to become totally informed about how a particular item ACTUALLY functions, before making statements.

No claim was made about the total effectiveness of ANY particular product, only the basics were discussed.

Anyone having a moisture problem in their safe, under THEIR particular set of circumstances is advised to address the actual problem, and NOT simply try to band aid it with a "Golden Rod" or desiccant.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)