Locksmithing/Removing a Russwin lock, 1976

Dick wrote at 2012-02-02 18:45:17
I just worked on one of these today because the thumb latch wasn't working. I filed off a burr on the cam and had a heck of a time putting it back together and have the bolt operate correctly. Luckily I had another one to compare it to. The bolt has a hook that connects to a pin in the cylinder and those series of pins actually turn within the cylinder to operate the bolt. Assemble it a few times on your workbench to see how it works then install it on your door. The set screws are designed to tighten on a groove in the cylinder. I found it helpful to use a magic marker on the outside of both screw-on sections to help me line them up. Marking the slip rings would accomplish nothing.

Greystone Guru wrote at 2015-10-10 21:41:53
The Russwin deadbolt I am trying to work on requires a 5/64 inch Allen wrench to loosen the bolt. Problem is that the lock has been installed for so long, and in a somewhat humid location, that corrosion must have formed on the far end of the retaining screws. Forcing them out hazards breaking this delicate Allen wrench and spraying specialized oil in the opening has so far not enabled me to turn one of the screws more than around 5 revolutions. I will keep at it but any suggestions would be gladly accepted.

Locksmithing

Robert L. Webb