Locksmithing/CES Cylinder removal W/O old key

David wrote at 2012-09-13 17:02:39
Well I am a Locksmith since 1977. I do know how to remove a standard profile cylinder. However I ran across a tri-point lock today and the cylinder would not come out! I tried every trick I know. Took all screws loose and the set screw. Still would not come out! Now I need someone to help tell me if I am missing something on these tri-point locks. Every once in a while you get stumped.

Chris Seattle wrote at 2013-01-25 16:18:50
FYI, to whomever wrote the snotty comment about "real locksmiths," the CES lock is made specifically to prevent it from being picked, and is extremely difficult to re-key.  I bought one via the Hoppe brand (hardly amateurs), and they strongly warned that I just couldn't re-key if I needed to.  Single cylinder or double cylinder, it doesn't really make a difference with this brand, it's just very hard to do.  It doesn't really sound like you have any experience with this brand, so please come down off your high horse.

catmeer wrote at 2013-02-15 22:39:00
Apparently the individual who wrote this falls into the category of locksmiths he is describing.  Look at the side of your door, if the locking bolt that comes out when you turn the key is above the key then the cam is also above the key.  You need to rotate the cam vertically downwards so it aligns below so the system can be removed.  During normal function the bolt will not rotate downward to make this alignment.  Look below the inside latch and you will see a very small vertical slit.  If you insert a small razor knife into the slit and pull the spring down it will release the cam so it can be rotated downwards.  Once rotated down the system should easily pull out.

Locksmithing

Patrick D. Harrington