Locksmithing/Unknown number to a Lord safe

Safe Technician wrote at 2013-01-31 03:30:37
I have to agree with part of your comment, however as a safe specialist and one of many, going to a locksmith is a reasonable and in most cases the only way to get into a safe the correct way. To break into a floor safe and have it repaired for under $1000 is a fair price considering the locksmith is taking all the risk if the safe is difficult to open or faulty due to lack of servicing. Since the safe possibly has not been opened for many years...the non destructive methods of opening a safe are more expensive but as it is a hard learned skill i would expect Andy that as a safe expert? you would be an advocate for seeking a specialist to open the safe correctly?

ANDY wrote at 2013-04-28 15:30:23
I'm not sure what the "Safe Technician" is referring to when he indicates that the "locksmith" is taking all the risks if the safe is difficult or faulty due to lack of servicing.   There is no "RISK" - you either know what you are doing or you don't.   To charge an unreasonable fee, when you are simply guessing or learning does NOT imply that you are an expert in your trade.   when a customer comes to you they expect a certain level of expertise - if you don't have it, then don't take the job, but to charge an exhorbant fee to ruin someone's property is simply thievery!    While most safe technicians ARE also locksmiths, VERY FEW locksmiths are also safe technicians.   I do advocate contacting safe technicians for safe work, and NOT locksmiths.  In the past couple of months I've met several locksmiths who routinely open locks by drilling them out - when asked why they don't simply pick the locks they indicate that "that is just movie myth, nobody picks locks"!!!!!   If most locksmiths can't do the BASIC locksmith skills then I'm not sure why you would want a customer to seek them out for more advanced work, like opening a safe.   While I know there are plenty of trained, excellent locksmiths available, just like in any trade there are also many more hacks or hobbyists who are NOT professionals in the trade.    My advice to anyone is to ensure the person you are hiring is QUALIFIED to do the work requested, not simply because they are ADVERTISING themselves as such.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)