Locksmithing/Adesco Safe model CB 1412

QUESTION: Hi Andy. I just acquired an Adesco Safe that states model no. CB 1412 with a serial no. of 24802. It is an in Floor Safe, Green in color with the door a sort of off white color. The handle is Metal or Aluminum color.  The Safe measures 15" wide x 15" tall x 12" deep. The door is exactly 1" thick and it is a combination lock with a deadbolt of about 4" long.  My questions are....1. Is there anywhere that I can obtain the catalog or manual for it? I do not know it's age, but it is in excellent condition and I am guessing maybe from the 80's or 90's.  Question 2. The previous owner said the combination is set to the original default combo which I have and it opens fine. It starts with 0 followed by two other numbers. Can I have this Combo changed locally at a safe shop?  Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.

Safe manufacturers rarely provided manuals or catologs with safes.   If anything it would have a simple set of dialing instructions.   It might have also had a set of instructions on installing the container in the ground and/or in concrete.

As this manufacturer is out of business, getting something from them might be difficult.   I might have one of their catologs at my office, but other than having the size, etc. I'm not sure what information that you are looking for.   I'm not sure what you want the manual for and/or age of the safe.  This safe won't become an antique for another 70-80 years, and because similar safes were made by most manufacturers, unless they have all been turned in for scrap metal value, it won't become a collectible.   Just use it and enjoy it.

Next item (and this is fast becoming another of my pet peeves, along with "vintage" and "Patina") is "default" combination.   There is no such thing as a "DEFAULT" combination.   While the safe may still be set on the ORIGINAL combination which it left the factory set on, it is simply "A" combination, and not a "DEFAULT" combination.   A default combination, would be something that the lock would revert back to (for what ever unknown reason).  There is no such thing.   There is ONLY one combination at any given time, and there are approximately 1,000,000 possible combinations that the lock may be set on.

Next, next item - Your combination does NOT start at zero "0".  While the previous owner may have indicated that THIS is the starting point, it isn't.   Kind of reminds me of the story about the man who was told to stand in the corner of a round room - he wandered for days never finding the corner.   Unless "0" is actually part of the combination (see below), then it is simply just another number on the dial.
There is no starting point necessary to operate the lock, unless YOU need one.  The correct dialing sequence for your lock should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, you are only interested in the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.
For instance if your first number is 50, you will simply start dialing counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

Any local safe company should be able to reset the combination to almost anything that you wish, though there are a few numbers that simply won't work.

Hope this helps, somewhat.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located and I'll see who I know nearby.

QUESTION: Andy..thank you for the answers, I really appreciate it. Sorry about the "Default" combo thing. I am a beginner when it comes to safes, although I am starting to find it a facinating subject. That is just what the seller told me. As far as the Combination goes, Their instructions to me where..( and I repeated it with them before taking possession of the safe was...Clear the dial as it spins freely, and place it to Zero. Then Left 3 times to 50, and Right to will feel the dial tighten up at around 5 and it will open at 95.  I just tried the combination again, and I did not start at zero, I just made sure that the dial was clear and it still opens with just the two numbers 50 and 95. Does this mean I only have a two number combination?  Also...the reason I was asking about catalogs was because I would like to know the rating info on it. I have seen others safes like this one online but with a 1/2" door while mine is a 1" thick so I am wondering what kind of rating I have, if it is a Burglar resistant, etc.  So I guess I will have to address the 2 number issue with my local safe shop? and perhaps they might also help me with the rating?  I really like the safe and plan to keep it for a long time. If you think I might need a new lock mechanism let me know too ok? Thank you Andy, it's nice to know that there are people that like to share their expertise. ( I once knew a man in ATT back in the old days that would not share his expertise and when I asked him why he told me..." Because Knowledge is Power" . Can you beat that? haha. )

Basically what the manufacture did was to set the lock on ONE number (50).   The second number 95 is simply a reference point.   If you have the combination changed a dozen times this number will NOT change as it is simply the reference point which the dial stops at when the lock is unlocked.  The bolt is retracted and the dial will not turn any further.

Your safe is what we refer to as a "B/C" burglary rating.   If the safe is above ground, as it is currently, it would have the lower "B" rating.   If the safe has been properly installed in a floor, surrounded by several inches of concrete, then it would have the higher "C" rating.  B rated safes shouldn't be used for over $5000, while C rated safes can protect up to $20,000 in valuables.

NOTE:  This safe has no fire resistance.  Even installing it in concrete will NOT get it a fire rating.

The "B" rating is a "BASIC" standard, utilizing LESS than 1" of steel (or equivilant) in the door.   Basically a steel coffee can, with a lock meets a "B" rating.   The "C" rating indicates the door has a minimum of 1" of steel in the door.   Biggest problem with these safes, if installed in the floor, is they are subject to flooding, the door doesn't open fully which limits what you can store inside, AND you have to get down on your knees or belly to reach into the safe - very uncomfortable.

You can also install it sideways in a wall (wall safe), though if it has a hinge spring, it will need to be removed as it will NOT be working against the weight of the door, and WILL cause the door to JUMP out at you.   Again, unless installed in the wall with several inches of concrete, it will have the LOWER "B" burglary rating.

If you have multiple safes in your home, this can be a great safe to store those items that are "long term" storage and not subject to moisture damage.  The safes can easily be hidden and usually are not found in the event of a breaking.   I have a couple in my house for long term storage of things I don't need access to very often.

As far as replacing the locking mechanism, I doubt it.  These locks are built to last a long time if properly serviced.  Chances are the lubricants are old, so I would recommend having them correctly clean, lube and service it, prior to setting YOUR combination.   My two oldest safes are from the 1850's and have the original locks, so unless yours is damaged, it probably just needs service.

Hope this helps.  If you still need a factory page about your safe, send an email to me at:  and I'll see if I can find the catalog.   I'll scan a page on your safe and send it to you.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)