Locksmithing/broken lock

Question
The lock in question opens from the outside with a key....from the inside with a "turn knob" to throw the deadlock open or closed. the lock is set in a metal door.  When I insert the key, it will turn in either direction and doesn't reach a stop point. This is my only way to enter.  No windows.  Help!

Answer
Hello Robin,

Thanks for writing. If the key you are using is spinning freely around in a circle then most likely there is either a broken tailpiece or broken bolt. In either case, it will be necessary to call out a locksmith to open the lock and repair it, since you do not have access from the inside to unlock it.

I am sorry for the bad news :-(.

Thank you.

Locksmithing

Aaron J. Neil CRL, CJS