Locksmithing/Internal door won't open

Question
One of my bedroom doors has been shut and now will not open. The know doesn't seem to be turning all the way (compared to the other doors in my house). The screws to remove the knobs are on the inside so I can't take them off. The doorframe on the outside covers the edges of the door so I can't access the hinges or slide a credit card down the latch side to release it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hello Natalie,

You'll have to try and force it or destroy it.

The latch may be broken or the connection between the knob and latch may be compromised.

A small thin piece of metal may fit between the door frame and door stop in line with the latch to shim the latch back.  Sometimes a thin credit card (or the like) will bend around the corner to shim instead.

If you can't shim it, either call a locksmith or attempt to destroy the knob assembly yourself.  Once the knob is off of the door, force the latch to retract or destroy it as well.  There's not much you can do when a knob won't retract the latch.

James

Locksmithing

James