Locksmithing/lost safe combo.

Question
I bought a safe from an auction the other day and don't have the combo for it. It is a Montgomery Ward 9030 model number 72-95125. I was wondering on how I could go about to get the combo to this safe, because it was not given when I bought it. Thank you for the help

Greg

Answer
Greg,

Montgomery Wards never made safes, and never had any records for any of these products.   These safes were provided from several companies, and relabeled for Montgomery Wards.   Based on this information and the serial number, your safe was probably produced by the Meilink Safe Company.

Meilink was acquired by FireKing International in 1990.  While FireKing does still manufacture under the Meilink logo, they may not have older records still available.   You will have to contact them to have them to a record search.   They generally charge for this service, but may not do it for you, as they have no idea who you are, or what your authority is to do a search (ownership).
You may have to go through a distributor or independent local safe company to have the record search done.   Also, there is no guarantee that the safe is still set on the ORIGINAL factory combination.  In the last 40 years it may have been changed several times.

Your other option would be to have a safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith) open the safe for you.   Hopefully you didn't pay a lot for a 40 year old fire safe, which is probably worth less than $100 (open with a combination), as it may cost you between $350-$500 to have it opened and the combination recovered.

If you don't have a local safe company let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Sorry for the bad news.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)