Locksmithing/mosler bank vault

QUESTION: We have a Mosler Bank safe.  Handle#268091. It is referred to as a large round mosler safe (manganese safe).  

We also have a walk in vault with Mosler Vault Door, F.O.#B-26363-1/2.  Both of these are approximately 90+ years old.

The combinations we have we have no idea if they are right or if they've been changed.  Can you help us with these or any contact phone #'s ie: Mosler?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Richard Greene
or  or e-mail

ANSWER: Richard,

Sure, here is the contact info that I have - Mosler's phone number is 1-800-OUT-OF-BUSINESS.  LOL - sorry its been a long Saturday!

Manufacturers NEVER publish any serial number or combination information, and as they have been out of business for over 11 years, getting hold of them will be rather difficult.

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock will not open, in order they are:
1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems.

IF you have the correct combination, you may simply be dialing it incorrectly.
IF you are dialing it correctly, then chances are you don't have the correct numbers.
IF you have the correct combination AND you are dialing it correctly, then you may have another problem.

If you aren't sure whether you are dialing the combinations correctly or whether you have the correct combinations, then I would recommend that you have a safe technician from a local safe cmopany check them out for you.   Hopefully you will have a local person familiar with your safes.   NOTE:  I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as the generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on them.

IF the doors are open, the safe technician can simply recover or reset the combinations.  If they are locked up, you may need to have them opened.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I know in your area.

QUESTION: Our zipcode is 62521, if you know a safe tech in our area, please let me know.  Thanks again.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in the Decatur area that I would recommend, so I'm having to give you some names outside.  Sorry but the closest one is around 100 miles away.

Mobile Vault Service, Inc.
847-923-5555    Mark Gerhardt
366 Beinoris Dr.
Wood Dale, IL 60191

Fink Safe & Lock Co., Inc.
2307-11 N. Western Avenue
Chicago, IL 60647

Frank Zykan Safe & Vault
St. Charles
St. Charles, MO  63301

Professional Safe & lock  Service
414-327-5625    Jon Soderland
5123 West Howard Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53220

Hope one of these guys will be able to help you.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)