Locksmithing/S&G 6120

Hello Terry,

I have a Liberty Presidential Safe that I bought new about 15 years ago.

It has a S&G 6120 lock on it. That lock has been hit or miss from the beginning and it has gone through a mountain of batteries, BUT it always worked after an attempt or two and would go for months before locking me out for day or two.

After being locked out for a while I would try again and it would be like there was never a problem for a few more months.

I think my luck has finely run out as I have been locked out for a long time now. I've tried several sets of new batteries still no luck.

When I enter my code I get my beeps like normal, and then nothing on the first attempt, after the first attempt I get the normal beeps but at the end I get a long oscillating beep and then nothing. A few more attempts and it won't respond at all.

Is there any hope to get this open without drilling?

Thanks, Randy in Redding CA.

I LOVE the S&G 6120 locks, as they have a fairly high failure rate as compared to other digital locks.

There are several different problems that could be happening.

My first recommendation - always start with a fresh battery.   Never trust them, even out of the pack.   Use good quality energizer or duracell 9vdc ALKALINE ONLY batteries.   Check them with a digital multimeter to ensure that they have at least 9vdc.

These locks use a motor to retract the lock bolt, unfortunately, eventually all of them strip out the screw drive.  Kind of like your transmission being in neutral - you can rev your engine all day, and the car still won't go!   If the safe door isn't closed correctly, or if something inside the safe is causing pressure on the door or bolt work, it could also bind the lock bolt.   Press in on the door, and ensure the handle is turned all the way (bolts extended) and try again.

Also, the membrane key pads all eventually get worn out.  If one of the buttons is dead, then the lock will see all of your attempts at opening as an incorrect attempt.   After four incorrect tries, the keypad will shut down for a period of up to 15 minutes.  pressing any button during the penalty period will restart the time delay.

Changing to a new key pad, may resolve the problem, IF the keypad is the issue.   Changing keypads WILL NOT change the combination of the lock.  If you don't have one available to use or borrow, then you may have to buy one.   Current cost for the keypad alone is around $120.

Note:  If the lock is the problem, then changing the keypad won't fix it.

If none of the above helps, or opens the safe, then you will probably need to have a safe technician, NOT a locksmith, open your safe.

Hope this helps, if you don't have any local safe companies, let me know where you are located and I'll see who I know in your area.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)