Locksmithing/bank valt door or bigger!

Question
Hi Andy
My question is that many banks have closed and sold
to other people.
But the vault doors are still there how can I find one at a
reasonable price?
I want it for a survival shelter entrance.
I wanted a missile silo door but can't find one of those for sale
ether.
I just can't believe that there that much in demand.
Is there any ideas of anything else I could use or find?
Thank you for any help you can give. Paul

Answer
Paul,

The reason that most of the banks that have left or abandoned a built in vault, is because of the expense of removing the door and frame.

I'm not sure what YOU consider a "reasonable" price, and without having a number we could easily be talking apples and oranges.   If you think that someone is simply going to give you one to haul away, I think you aren't being realistic.

Generally removal of a door, and crating up for shipping and freight or moving costs could easily be $10,000 for a good used door - and this may be a really good cost.

It might be better to find one that has already been removed and is already at a safe company.  Depending on the condition, how far you have to have it moved, etc.  You could safe a bundle.   You would have to check with larger safe & vault companies to see what is available.  We probably have at least 1/2 dozen doors in stock at any time - these are all used doors.

Most banks currently don't own the property that they work out of.  They lease the space.  The vaults that they use are modular construction that are easy to put up and take down.   Well, at least they are easy for us to put up and take down as we have all the tools.     Bottom line, as these can be disassembled, and moved, if they lose a lease or move to a bigger location, the vault can be moved also, or expanded fairly easily.   Generally we will build a vault over a weekend, if the building is ready for it.

So if you are a serious motivated buyer, the first thing you need is what you are willing to spend (max).  again, be serious!!  If you are willing to spend $50,000 (or more), there are a lot of possibilities.   If you are thinking more along the lines of less than $10,000 then you aren't being realistic.

While you can probably pick up a door by itself, for less than $10,000 - you would still have to figure out moving the door, building the vault or bunker and installing it - and now you are back up to around $50,000 (+).

If you are serious about a door, we can have one ready to ship to you by the end of the week - though I would suggest educating yourself about WHAT you really want, before you are ready to pull the checkbook out.

I'm going to need a lot more information about what you are actually looking for, where you are located, etc. so that I can make some references.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)