Locksmithing/Boston area safe technician

My father owns a Herring Hall Marvin 4-drawer fire resistant safe, with a Sargent and Greenleaf T6730-MP lock.  (At least, the original instructions are for a T6730-MP or T6735-MP lock, and the cover plate on the lock mechanism has the molded-in number: M-6730-MP)  A plate identifies: Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Insulated Record Container, Fire Classification C (with Impact Test) No. 35200.  He has owned this safe for at least 50 years.

Recently, he has had increasing trouble opening the lock.  Yesterday, I was able to open it multiple times, but the dial feels like the lubrication is old, so perhaps other parts are sticking, as well.

Can you recommend a good safe technician in the Boston, MA area (western suburbs, zip code on request) who could properly clean and lube the lock?

Thank you.

What you have is not a safe, it is a fire resistive filing cabinet.   Having a combination lock on a container does NOT make it a safe.   Also, containers which are over 50 years old do NOT meet current standards for fire resistance.   As HHM went out of business in 1959 (acquired by Diebold, with the factories being closed down in the early 60's), your container would exceed the 50 year mark.   You should NOT be using this container for overnight storage of any cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

As far as servicing the lock, I agree that it probably needs service and/or replacement.

I have a couple of names for you.  The list is in my order of recommendation, though you can use anyone that you wish.

Philip H Shearer CML
Hanover Lock & Safe      About 25 miles from Boston
990 Washington St
Hanover MA, 02339
Phone: 781-826-8872

Mark E Anastas  
Anastas Lock & Safe Co     About 29 miles from Boston
76 Railroad St
Holliston MA, 01746
Phone: 508-429-7856  

Boston Lock & Safe Company
30 Lincoln Street
Boston, MA  02135

Hope this helps.   If you get the container open again, I don't recommend closing it until AFTER you have had it serviced and inspected.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)