Locksmithing/Looks like a money safe

I found in a home i just moved into this ideam made by your company on one side it has "FOR COIN" with a slit above it on the other side it has "FOR NOTES" with a round hole above it ontop where the handle is has "MADE IN U.S.A" and just below that "MFDBYCOBURNSCONY" and just below that ontop still "172" but on the plark at the font it has "E.J HOWELL SOUTHBOURNE - ON - SEA CHRISTCHURCH HANTS SOLE AGENT C.O.BURNS Co" the hole thing is made out of metal with a lock opening at the bottom the size of this hole thing is about 18cm long 8cm wide 15cm high with round edges both ends kind of looks like a old money box or money safe can you help let me know just what it was for and how old this might be please thank you

I'm not sure what you found, but it was not made by my company - we are not manufacturers.

Based on your description, this is a "COIN BANK", and NOT a safe.   C.O. Burns Company was a manufacturer of coin banks in the 1890's.   These coin banks usually were given away by various banks or businesses as promotional items.  They would have had an engraved plate with the name of the company (advertising) on the front, and the name of the manufacturer and patent dates/info stamped on to the bottom.

Generally most of these banks that I've seen go for anywhere from $15 to $200 depending on the model AND condition.   Most of them go at auctions for less than $50.

I'm not going to be able to give you any more info as this is NOT my area of specialty.   I specialize in actual safes.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)