Locksmithing/loose dial

Question
Hi, I have an old Mosler safe, I can open it but it gives me problems, I normally have to be pushing down on the dial as i am turning it  for it to be able to open, bottom line the dial is loose, how do i tighten up the dial? it is a mosler cd 120 mechanism. thanks

Answer
Gerardo,

The "lock" actually consists of several components, consisting of the lock body (and parts), the dial and the dial ring.   The dial is held "secure" by the dial ring mounting screws and the drive wheel (inside the lock).

If your dial "SEEMS" loose, it is probably something else.   Loose dial ring mounting screws, loose lock mounting screws, loose spline key, loose spindle, etc.

Because taking care of this problem WILL require disassembly of the lock, I DO NOT recommend this as a DIY project, for the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths.   Lack of knowledge, training and/or tools CAN result in a locked out safe.

I recommend that you contact a local safe company to have their safe technician service the safe lock to ensure its proper operation AND accuracy.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)