Locksmithing/meilink safe

Question
Hi, I purchased an old meilink safe. The safe is about 3 ft high and is ( only a guess) 60-70 years old.  The owner was unaware of the combination but the door was open.  I took the cover off the brass cover where the wheels located,and removed the plate, there were three brass rings with numbers.  The rings have a pin in a hole with numbers. 61-34-12 Looking at the numbers, i'm guessing they are just stops and not the actual combo.  What position does the indention on the wheel go when they all line up?  Is the brass box a standard type 2 lock box that I can replace?  Thank you.

Answer
Joe,

The brass lock body and the pin type wheels are NOT a group 2 lock.   This type of lock was made before UL began testing locks.   This lock is probably an "Eagle" lock which was made for Meilink by the Eagle Lock Company.   It might be one of a couple others as well, but I would have to see what you have.   Current lock designs will not easily retrofit into the space designed for this lock.

I'm not sure what indentation you are referring to - that's a pretty non descriptive term.

If you are referring to the square cut out on the edge of the wheel, this is called a "gate".   There should be a lever which sits on top of all the wheels.   The bar of the lever that runs across the wheels is called the "fence".   When the gates of the wheel line up under the fence, it should fall into place.  Continued turning of the dial would utilize the lever to retract the locking bolts of either the lock or the safe door.

If you would like more information or have specific questions, I'll need to see photos of the dial and lock so that I can see what you are trying to describe.

send the photos to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)