Locksmithing/How do I open a model C6 Star Safe in the floor of my recently bought home?

Question
The safe was recently discovered under a carpet in a bedroom closet. I would like to open the safe. Its Serial number is 1280624. Is there a manual available anywhere which might suggest combinations I could use on the rotary dial? Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to give. Brian Hurst.

Answer
Brian,

I'm not sure where you got the serial number from but to this day, Star serial numbers have not reached 1,280,624.   I think the highest serial number I've seen from this company is around 7xx,xxx.   You may have an extra digit in there somewhere.

I'm also not sure why you would think that there would be a manual available with "suggested" combinations to try.   For obvious security and liability reasons Manufacturers NEVER, EVER publish lists of combinations or serial numbers.   Sounds like you've been watching too much TV, or reading stuff on the internet.

The lock on this safe has 1,000,000 possible combinations available.   Obviously because of lock design and dialing sequence a few numbers simply won't work, or wouldn't be desireable, however that doesn't change the fact that there are mathmatically 1,000,000 possible combinations available.
The lock on this safe is also, Star's (AMSEC) proprietary, manipulation resistive design - so trying to listen to the bumps, clicks, whistles, etc. is also pretty much a waste of time.

You basically have TWO options to recover the combination - you can either try every possible combination, until you find the one that opens it, or you can have a safe technician open it, and recover or reset the combination for you.
1,000,000 possible combinations will only take around 5.5 years if you test 500, each and every day.   Cost to have the safe opened, repaired and reset should be in the $350-$500 range.
NOTE:   If done correctly by a trained, competent safe technician, the small hole drilled into the safe will be easily repairable, and chances are no parts will be necessary.   If done incorrectly, the parts rebuild kit is around $400 and a new door is around $500.  
NOTE:  I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.

The dialing sequence for this lock is as follows:
4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right to "0" - push in the dial, and while holding in, continue right to stop (around 75).  
Note:   If the dial does not stop by 75, and or stay down, the combination is not correct, or you have made a dialing error.

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.  Do not count the revolutions of the dial, but count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark (at the star).

If you need a safe technician, check with local safe companies - listed in the yellow pages under "safes & vaults".  If you don't have any companies or safe techs available, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)