Locksmithing/Opening A Remington Rand Safe

I have a RR safe with the combo it says R to 0 L 40 (4) R 75 (3)
L 35 (2) R 78 I tried going to 0 around 4 times to 40 3 times to 75 and so on it didn't open what am I suppose to do I try a lot of other combo of this but to no avail.

there are only three reasons that a safe lock won't open, they are:
1.  Incorrect dialing sequence (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combination (wrong numbers)
3.  mechanical problems

Generally when combinations are passed on, they are communicated the way that the previous owner understands it, and NOT necessarily the way it actually works.

The dialing sequence for this lock should be:

4 times left to the first number, 40
3 times right to the second number, 75
2 times left to the third number, 35
1 time right until the dial stops (around 78).

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 40 arrives at the index mark.

"0" is not part of your combination, it is simply a "starting" point the previous owner needed in order to begin dialing the combination.   If you need it also, then continue to use it, as long as YOU understand that it has NOTHING to do with the combination and is strictly for your benefit.

If you still can't get it to open and you are dialing it correctly, then the numbers may not be correct.   If they are you may have a mechanical problem with the lock.   If this is the case you will need a safe tech from a local safe company.

Hope this helps.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)