Locksmithing/opinion on re-keyable Kwikset locks

background:   I rent part of my house and rekey after a roommate moves.  I want to replace the locks this time because my ex installed deadbolts which all have keys on both sides and the last time the local locksmith was here he said that was dangerous in case of fire... so I usually leave a key in the inside lock, which rather defeats the purpose of having the lock on the inside.  Plus in the future it will be cheaper to have the locks rekeyed because the locksmith charges for each side of the deadbolt and thus will only have to change half as many.  If any of this is faulty logic, I'd appreciate a comment.  I'm pretty new to this.

what do you think of the new-to-me Kwikset locks for homes that I can re-key myself with their kit?  Home depo sells them.  I'm on a tight budget and if these are good locks, boy, this almost sounds too good to be true...

also if I'm allowed a 2nd question - any advice on using "no duplicate" keys?  My last roommate made an extra set of keys for his friends without talking to me about this... I would have happy to loan him an extra set when he had company but don't really appreciate people making extra keys to a shared home.

thanks in advance

Hello Diane,

The locksmith is correct, the double cylinder deadbolt can be a safety hazard but if your door has glass in or around it, not having a double cylinder deadbolt can be a security risk.  I recommend having a key near the lock but not in it and that everyone that is in there know how to get out.

Kwikset makes the smart key locks which you can rekey yourself but they have been causing us problems, well not us, but our customers, so if the only reason for using them is to save money, you probably won't.

To save money, take the locks off of the door and take them to your locksmith, that saves you the service call fee plus any extra they charge for rekeying in the field.

Lastly, most locksmiths have "do not duplicate" keys which are pre-printed on the keys.  Know that there is no legal reason that someone can't copy them but most lock shops and some hardware stores don't copy them unless they originally made them.  You can sometimes get the lock cylinders changed to ones that use a less common key so that hardware stores wouldn't have the blanks.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.