Locksmithing/Removing lever set.

Question
Lock itself
Lock itself  
Lock side
Lock side  
QUESTION: I have a broken lever set that I can't figure out how to remove from a door to replace with a new one.
The plate on the door says Baldwin and it is black and ornate. The lever part does not have a lock in it, but the upper part does. The lever has a square spindle on the back plate that inserts into the bottom latch. I can take the whole back part off by removing four screws and the two screws next to the thumbturn. the front half, however, remains in place even though I have removed the four screws from the front. I have not noticed anything else holding it in place. And it is not a (mortice) lock like the other handsets at the store. The lock side has a collar that turns away from the decorative plate, but does not come off. The plate where the lock cylinder sits also turns, but the cylinder itself stops that from turning. It appears to be threaded underneath. Any help or suggestions you can offer would be a great help.

ANSWER: Is there a separate deadbolt that the lock cylinder moves in and out?

If so, remove the trim from the deadbolt on the edge of the door. You should see a hole on either side of the bolt. This is for a hex head set screw that keeps the cylinder from turning.

I believe it is a 5/64, but I am not at the shop to verify this. It takes a long allen wrench.

These are made by Kaba Ilco under the Lori name. Those instructions may have the wrench size.

If this is not what you have, post a pic of the edge of the door and I'll see if it matches up with our database.

Dan

deadbolt
deadbolt  
QUESTION: Dan,

Thank you for the really fast answer. Here is a pic of the deadbolt on the door edge. There are two holes by the bolt itself.
Is this the opening you are mentioning?

Thanks again. I think I have the right tool for this.

ANSWER: Exactly! Just back off the set screw until  the cylinder turns freely.

Do not unscrew it too far. When re-installing, lube the threads with WD40, it is very easy to cross thread the cylinder because of the fine threads. Take your time.

What's wrong with the lock? Balwin usually has a good warranty and will provide replacement parts.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

QUESTION: Hello again,

Sorry for the delay in answering.
This lock is located on a workshop door that is in a natural wind trap. It is very dirty and doesn't function well. It looks like a Kwikset core was installed along with parts from Baldwin and Kaba.

The other locks look the same with various parts thrown together. Some work just ok, but others have problems key to key.
I'm probably going to replace them all with something that all works correctly.

If you would like I'll post up exploded views of what these look like.

Thanks again.

Answer
You would be surprised what a good shot of WD40 will do.

Shoot it in the lock bolt, in the keyway etc.

After you put it in the keyhole, run your key in and out a few times.

I would be interested in an exploded view to ID what you have.

Thanks,
Dan

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno