Locksmithing/resetting a combination lock.

Question
I have an office cabinet with an internal safe. It is presently opened. It is a steelmaster safe. It has a model number of XAA-173 and also lists Art Steel company New York on the label. It was in the house when I purchased it and just sat in a corner of the shop for a few years. It is opened but I have no idea of the combination. Is it possible to reset the number or can it be recovered. I would like to store a few things in it if it becomes usable.

Answer
Bob,

The answer is Yes to both questions - it can be recovered and/or reset.

Generally as the lock will have to be partially disassembled to either reset or recover the combination, I don't recommend this as a DIY project, for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.  Lack of training, knowledge and/or tools can easily result in a locked up safe, which could potentially be expensive to have opened.

I recommend contacting a local safe company to have their trained safe technician perform the service.

You can look at the back of the lock to see if it has a small observation window.   Some of the smaller locks used on Art Metal cabinets, had a small observation hole which would allow you to dial up the wheel gates to this position, and through observation, figure out what number was assigned to each wheel.  If the lock does not have this hole, then it will need to be disassembled - again, not recommended as a DIY project.
NOTE:  DO NOT close and lock the door, until you have tested this combination out several times so that you are familiar with the correct dialing procedure and know that the numbers you have collected ARE the correct ones.   If this combination does not work 100% of the times you test it out, then don't lock it up.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)