Locksmithing/Rocky Mountain gun safe

Question
Andy
I have an estate that gave me a Rocky Mountain gun safe. While I can open it I am concerned that the key pad must work off of some battery that would need to be changed periodically.

I saw your response to another questioner about this manufacturer being out of business.

I have no instruction manuel and, obviously, cannot reach the company.

The last thing I want to do is lock up some guns and not be able to get them out. Does this safe keypad work off a battery? if so what kind and how often do I have to change it? If I change it, will the codes remain the same or do I have to re-program it? If it has to be re-programmed, how is that done? Thanks.

Answer
Chuck,

ALL digital locks have to work off some type of power supply.   The majority of the keypads use either 9vdc or AA batteries.   Generally they are under the keypad.

Access to them WILL depend on the type key pad & Manufacture of the lock.

Some of them have trap doors on the bottom of the key pad, some the key pad slides up the face of the safe about 1/4" before coming off in you hand, some it comes straight off towards you and some it has to turn slightly counter clockwise.
Some have the batteries inside the safe, but usually have a battery port on the outside just incase.

Removal of the batteries will NOT change the lock code in all but the cheapest safes.

Again, just like battery changing, any programming or changing of the lock code WILL depend on the lock manufacturer.

If you want help, then I'll have to have more information or photos of the lock.

You can send them directly to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)