Locksmithing/Rocky Mountain gun safe

I have an estate that gave me a Rocky Mountain gun safe. While I can open it I am concerned that the key pad must work off of some battery that would need to be changed periodically.

I saw your response to another questioner about this manufacturer being out of business.

I have no instruction manuel and, obviously, cannot reach the company.

The last thing I want to do is lock up some guns and not be able to get them out. Does this safe keypad work off a battery? if so what kind and how often do I have to change it? If I change it, will the codes remain the same or do I have to re-program it? If it has to be re-programmed, how is that done? Thanks.

ALL digital locks have to work off some type of power supply.   The majority of the keypads use either 9vdc or AA batteries.   Generally they are under the keypad.

Access to them WILL depend on the type key pad & Manufacture of the lock.

Some of them have trap doors on the bottom of the key pad, some the key pad slides up the face of the safe about 1/4" before coming off in you hand, some it comes straight off towards you and some it has to turn slightly counter clockwise.
Some have the batteries inside the safe, but usually have a battery port on the outside just incase.

Removal of the batteries will NOT change the lock code in all but the cheapest safes.

Again, just like battery changing, any programming or changing of the lock code WILL depend on the lock manufacturer.

If you want help, then I'll have to have more information or photos of the lock.

You can send them directly to me at:

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)