Locksmithing/Saf-D-Posit Model 1140

Question
QUESTION: My late mother purchased a Safe-D-Posit Model 1140 safe.  The key is in the lock but I do not have combination.  The number on the front of the safe is 88406046.  Is there any way to open the safe without destroying it?  I would like to keep it and use it providing I can get a combination for it.  I can send a photo if it would help.

ANSWER: Beverely,

These containers were made in China and imported into the US during the 70s and 80s.  The company that imported them is no longer in business and SAGA no longer has records for these safes.

You basically have two options, you can try all possible combinations, or you can have a safe tech open it and recover the combo for you.   Cost to have it opened will probably be more than it is worth.

If nothing is in the safe, I would recommend simply saving the money and buying a new one.

Check with a local safe company to see what they will charge you to open it for you.   Unfortunately cost should be around $350 to $500 to have it opened AND repaired.

Sorry the news isn't better.

QUESTION: Andy - Thanks so much for your answer.  Do you have a ball park estimate on just opening the safe without repairing it?  We believe there are documents in the safe that we need.
beverly

Answer
Beverly,

As I'm in California, all I can do is give you a ball park.  Cost to actually open the container with or without repairs will have to be discussed with a local safe company.

A fair price to OPEN and REPAIRED would be in the $350 to $500.   Some companies flat fee their rates and don't take into account the repairs.   Some companies simply charge by the hour.

Generally I would steer clear of companies that charge by the hour, as I've seen too many that simply work "slooowwwwllllyyyy" to run up the cost.   flat rates are the best, as it is in the safe techs favor to open it quickly, and you don't care how long it takes.   Generally my rates figure 3 hours to open and repair a safe like yours.  This means that I would be able to open it in about 1/2 of the time with the rest repairing it back to factory standards.   Flat rate to open only would be figured at around 1/2 to 2/3's of the rate.   Most companies also have some sort of mobile service fee to get the vehicle, tools and safe tech to your location.   If you are able to take the safe to their shop, you can also save some money.   Open only with no repairs should be in the $200-$300 range.

Discuss having your safe opened with your local safe company.  If you have specific questions about their fees, or opening techniques (plans), feel free to run it by me first.   Just make sure that YOU understand what they are charging your for up front.   Some have hidden charges like fees per drill bit, etc.

Hope this helps, though I realize I'm still being slightly vague.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)