Locksmithing/X-09 locker not opening

Question
QUESTION: I have X-09 locker which i operate regularly with known combination numbers. Since 2 days i am trying to operate with the same numbers but when it it start showing OP mode,on continuing turning the same direction, the Op mode sign disappears and does not engage the latch and other digits starts appearing. Please tell me about the solution.

ANSWER: M N Ali,

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with the Kaba-Mas lock series, including the X-09's.  The problem is that the small slide bar inside the lock is not sliding correctly to engage the bolt and allow retraction.   This can be due to grease which has dried up, or in cold weather (winter) hardening, or debris inside the lock, or a number of other reasons.
The electronics are working, as exhibited by the lock entering the "OP" mode.

What you can try is to use a "DEAD BLOW" or Rubber mallet to rap on the face of the container, during the last turning segment, after the lock indicates "OP".   You may have to do this several times.   The object is to vibrate the motor, gear or slide bar loose enough to engage the lock bolt and allow retraction.   A dead blow hammer is best as it will impart "weight" to the strike without damaging the face of the container.

NOTE:  If you are hitting the container hard enough to deface or damage it, then you are hitting it too hard, and/or incorrectly.   The strikes are ONLY meant to vibrate the lock internals, to try to get it too engage.

If it still won't open, then you will need a safe technician to work on it, and it may need to be drilled.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but problems like this tend to be a hands on service issue.

QUESTION: Thanks a million for help.i used the same technique and it worked and the locker opened up.I did some cleaning of the inside rods etc but now the problem is that it needs that dead blow each time i need to open the safe. Does it need some sort of servicing?. in our area we do not have any certified technician,please tell me some method to service it myself.
best regards

Answer
M N Ali,

The parts that need service are INSIDE of the sealed lock, NOT the exterior bolt work.

I don't recommend that you close and lock the container until THE LOCK has been serviced.

NOTE:  Disassembly of this lock is NOT recommended as a DIY project for the same reasons that I don't recommend using locksmiths.   Lack of knowledge, training and tools WILL result in a lockout.

The X-09 locks require special training.   I'm not sure where you are located, but most US Military bases which are located throughout the world have a civilian locksmith assigned who usually has at least a basic knowledge of these locks.   You might try contacting them to find out about having the lock serviced.  Your other option would be to remove the door and ship it to a service facility, however I'm not sure what import/export fees would apply.

Other alternatives would be to obtain training on the Kaba-Mas X09 locks.  You can contact Kaba Mas at the following address to see what they might offer, or if they have any other solutions.

Kaba Mas LLC
749 W. Short St.
Lexington, KY 40508
Phone +1 859 253 4744
communications@kml.kaba.com

Training facilities include:

Mark Bates USA, Inc.
http://www.mbausa.com/course_1.asp?e=1

LSI Education
http://www.lsieducation.com/courses/gsa_svt.html

Sorry I don't have a better solution.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)