Locksmithing/age of victor safe,what it looked like new

Question
I have just acquired a safe from the basement of a bar.
The serial # is 217415 and the date on the handle reads 1910.

Is there a way I can know for certain what Victor Model this safe is and what it looked like new?  Also, I would like to know where I could attain parts for the safe.

Thanks,
Mike

Answer
Mike,

There were basically two "Victor" safe companies.   The first, Victor Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1885 until it was acquired by Remington-Rand in 1927.  The company was moved from Cincinnati, OH to Marietta, OH by the new owners and the name was changed to Victor Safe & Equipment Company.   Safes were manufactured under the new name until Remington-Rand was acquired by Sperry in 1955.   By 1956 all safe manufacturing had been shut down.   Victor equipment was continued until 1987 when it was acquired by "Turn 10 Wholesale".

Based on the information that you have provided, your safe would probably have been made by the original company.  As you can see from the dates, parts have not been made or available for these safes for over 85 years.   This leaves you with two choices - you can find a similar safe to use for "donor" parts, or you can have new parts fabricated.  While safe companies may strip old parts for later use, there is no "listing" of available parts, which means that you would have to check with a lot of different companies to find out if anyone had any parts for your safe.   Generally as these companies have these parts for THEIR use, unless you are a motivated buyer ($$$$), they probably won't even look through their stock.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use on line photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)