Locksmithing/army combination safe

Question
I have an old army combination safe. It is green (duh) and is cube shaped 2 ft square. I have the three numbers of the combination but do not the number of turns or series of turns for each number. I believe it is a Yale lock mechinism.
Can you help.
Thanks.

Answer
Paul,

Are you assuming that it was owned by the US Army because it is labeled, or because it is Olive Green???   This was a standard color for many companies, and simply a coincidence that it was the standard color for the Army.

Generally the dialing sequence for Yale locks is:

4 times right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number,
1 time left until the dial stops (should be around 10)

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

NOTE:  If it doesn't open with the above dialing sequence, try reversing the directions or LRLR vs RLRL.

If it still doesn't open, you may not have the correct combination.    In this case it may be time to have a safe tech from your local safe company check it out.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)