Locksmithing/Diebold TL-15 safe

My local safe dealer just installed a used Diebold Cashgard TL-15 safe, which is 72" high and comes with a dual clock timelock mechanism.  I found the UL certification and serial number placards, but can't find anything bearing a model number.

The intrusion detection wiring needs replacement, and I would like to be able to inspect the sensors located inside the door.   The safe guy mentioned that I will "set off" some of the lock bolts when I remove the interior door cover, which is held on with Phillips screws.  He said it would take a couple of people to push the pins back in and get it back together.   I asked if this was part of the relocker mechanism, and he said no.

Can you confirm any of this, and perhaps shed some insight as to what I am in for if I remove this cover?

Diebold Cashgard's can be a nightmare to reassemble, especially if you are not familiar with the design.   THIS is definitly a safe that I don't recommend as a DIY project for the same reason that I wouldn't recommend your using a locksmith to service it.

In this case, your safe dealer is incorrect.   If the back cover becomes loose or disconnected, pretty much ALL of the bolt work becomes relockers.   If somehow this happens with the door closed, its a mess.

If you need it disassemble, have a safe technician from your local safe company do the work.

While generally it doesn't take two people to reassemble a Diebold Cashgard door, in this case due to the size of the door, you will need two people, and one really needs to know what they are doing.

Basically if you decide to remove the back cover yourself, you could be in for an expensive repair bill.

While it is your safe and you can do what ever you want with it, and if your mechanical skills are pretty good, you may be all right, this still isn't a safe to use as a DIY project.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)