Locksmithing/Gardall safe and asbestos

Question
Hi Terry, i just bought an used Gardall safe and foun a white powder in the inside. Does gardall ever use asbestos on their safes? I think the safe was made in 1996, but how can i know that?  This is the serial number that i can find in the inside S-186392. Hope you can help me. Merry Christmas.

Answer
David,

basically safe manufacturers have NOT used asbestos as an insulation material since the late 1950's or early 60's, so chances are if your safe was built in 1996 - it doesn't have asbestos.

Gardall was NEVER a known user of asbestos.   The material is more likely a mortar or gypsum residue.

If you have a real need to know, you can have the substance tested at a local HAZMAT testing agency, or you can obtain a home test kit from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, CVS Phamacies, or by going to http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

Note:  Generally asbestos is a fiborous type material not a powder.   While it can be ground to a dust form, its appearance isn't quite the same as mortar or gypsum.

NOTE:   Asbestos is ONLY dangerous if it becomes airborne and/or you inhale it.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)