Locksmithing/Herring Hall Marvin Lug door safe

Question
How do you remove the door from the hinge as when you close the door the bottom hinge will move. With the door closed the Handel will not rotate down with out a lot of force to lock. When locked I can open and rotate Handel up to open. Almost feels as if the lugs are hitting the inside lugs or binding. There is a number stamped on the Handel 238067 and on the inside plate is group 1 224089

Answer
David,

Sorry but serial numbers don't help with any thing other than approximate age.  Manufacturers NEVER published any information concerning their products by serial number.

I'm assuming based on your description that you have a hinge problem.   Possible worn hinge block or hinge pin, and you are attempting to remove the door or crane hinge to dissassemble the hinge for repairs.

First off, I'm going to recommend that you have a trained safe technician do this work, unfortunately, there are less than 1/2 dozen companies in the US that will do hinge repairs.   Depending on the actual problem, damage and parts available, hinge repairs can easily run from $1000 to $5000.
with many older pieces of equipment (any your HHM falls into this category) replacement parts are obsolete and NOT available, without fabricating them from scratch.

generally special equipment is required to remove a heavy lug door from a safe to disassemble the hinge work.   If you don't have the correct equipment, then the door must be closed and secured (not locked) so that it won't fall out.   Lug doors are nice because the lugs will hold the door in the correct position (or at least pretty close).   Before closing the door, the lock, dial & dial ring must be removed, so that the bearing plate can come off.  With the door closed and the bearing plate removed, removing the hinge bolts will allow the crane hinge to be removed from the door.   Once off it can be inspected for repairs.

NOTE:  these items are all very heavy and cause extreme injuries very quickly.   This is NOT a DIY learn on the job type project.

Any type of maintenance issue like this does require thourough inspection to accurately identify WHAT the actual problem is, BEFORE you begin to disassemble the door.

Again, I would recommend that you have this done by a trained safe tech.

Sorry, but there is no manual for this type of work, so I would recommend if you DIY the project, take numerous photos as you disassemble the hinge and door, to aid in reassembly.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)