Locksmithing/JJ Taylor

Question
Just saw you answered very well a question about a JJ Taylor old safe.

A friend has a underground vault with a door written JJ Taylor 1855 and 1262 (model?) that has not been opened since about 5 years. We tried to open with the 3 numbers he is sure are good, turming 4L-3R-2L then R but the dial does not stop as it should. Is it possible that the high humidity in that vault affected the lock so it is not operating ?  I also fond on internet that for some locks you finally stop at 0.

Many years ago I opened the lock of my safe to see how it works and remember that  small parts control the 3 weels so they turn one after the other to place a slot strait up in a row using the 3 good numbers; maybe one does not shift due to corrosion ?

Thanks for any answer and have a good day,   Andre

Answer
Andre,

There are only three reasons that a safe lock won't open, they are:
1.  Incorrect dialing squence, (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems.

As mechanical problems are generally the smallest group of problems, this usually leaves wrong numbers and operator errors.

Especially if the container has not been opened in over 5 years, there is a really great chance that you are making a dialing error, and/or have the wrong numbers.   Many of the locks used on J&J Taylor containers were four wheel locks, so assuming that the 3 numbers are correct, two of the lock wheels may be on the same number, so your dialing squence would be:

"5" times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

How does that saying go?   If I had a nickle for every time someone told me "I'm sure I have the right numbers", I'd be rich!!!

If its NOT a mechanical problem, and IF you are dialing it correctly, then the numbers are probably NOT correct.

If you still can't get it open, it is probably time to have a safe technician from a local safe company check it out.   NOTE:  I NEVER recommend using a locksmith for safe work as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)