Locksmithing/Lefebure safe

Question
safe door is currently open. Pins seem frozen, so when the door is closed, the safe does not lock.

Answer
Fred,

Mechanical problems REQUIRE hands on diagnostics, solutions and repairs.   Without examining the door, bolt work and lock the only thing that I can do is make guesses.   Sorry but my crystal ball got broken, when my wife killed my money tree.

Generally, many doors include a bolt work detent which holds the bolt work in the retracted position when the door is open.  When the door is closed the detent is pressed in, releasing the bolt work.

When the bolt work is even partially retracted, the lock bolt is not allowed to extend.   The bolt work must be FULLY extended for the lock bolt to fully extend and the dial to turn.   If the door is not fully closed, the bolt work may also be blocked from fully extending.
Items which may have fallen under the lower bolts, or have been placed along the inside edge, may also be in the way of the bolts extending fully.   Shelves which may not be fully against the back wall, may block the door from closing fully, again this will keep bolt work from extending fully.

Lack of service, old grease, rust, etc.  can keep the bolt work from fully extending and/or jamming it up where it seems frozen.   Obviously if the bolt work is partially retracted, the lock ALSO will not operate correctly.

RULE NUMBER 1 - NEVER, EVER, EVER close and lock a safe door if it is not functioning correctly.  Resolve the problem and ensure that every thing operates correctly BEFORE closing and locking the door.   Failure to do so, can and will result in locked up safes and expensive openings.

If the problem is not readily apparant, then you probably need to have a safe technician from a local safe company examine it, solve the problem and repair it.

sorry I can't be of more help, but without examining the bolt work operation, any possible solution is simply a guess.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)