Locksmithing/Lock Failure Modes

Question
Hi James,
I have started lock picking as a hobby and I bought a five pin Mint-craft lock. I decided to take out all of the pins except for one to practice with. When I put the one pin back in I accidentally put the key pin in one slot and the spring and driver pin in the other slot. Is there any way to get the lock open again?
Thanks

Answer
Hello Ezra,

If the lock has a spring cap you'll have to remove that then remove all of the pins and springs, reinstall the spring cap and try again.

If the spring is at the shear line you can't shim or pick it out of the way so you can either do the above or the cylinder is likely trash.

James

Locksmithing

James