Locksmithing/Mosler Vault Door

Vault Door
Vault Door  
I have recently acquired a Mosler Vault door. It is laying flat on a pallet, with both handles accessible  I have the combination and it seems to work, the dial stops on the last number when entered correctly. the problem that i am running into is that even when combo is entered correctly the handle is not engaging the bolts, it seems like something is jammed. just wondering if it is an easy fix for a safe tech. or if it sounds like it may break the bank. thanks for the assistance.

Mechanical problems require hands on diagnostics, solutions and repairs.   Your problem may simply be due to the door laying down.   It may be hitting something, or the door may be tweaked slightly.

As far as it being an "easy" fix - as soon as I say "YES", it will turn out to be something difficult, and if I say "NO", it will turn out to be an easy fix.    This is a no win guessing game for me.
Without having the door in my hot little hands, to check out, all I would be doing is guessing.

Basically the door needs to be up right, (standing up), with the frame mounted or braced so that the door can open and close freely (with out danger of falling over).   Once in this position it should be easy to check out the bolt work and check operation.

If the bolt work and lock operate correctly with the door open (90 degrees), then it is probably just an alignment problem with the door frame.   If the bolt work will not extend and retract while the door is open, then you have narrowed it down to an operational problem.

Cost for a safe tech will vary depending on the location but you should expect to pay a mobile service charge and at least a minimum of one hour labor to examine the door to figure out what the problem is.
Repairs may be extra depending on the problem, but at least you will have an idea AFTER the door has been examined.

NOTE:  contact a local SAFE company, to have their safe tech check the door out.   I NEVER recommend using locksmiths as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes or doors like this.

Sorry, I can't be of more help.   if you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)