Locksmithing/OLD COLE STEEL SAFE.

Question
I have an old Cole Steel cabinet/safe.  I know the combination and have been able to open it with problems since the early 90's.  About 2 months ago I accidently locked  it with the door open.  Instead of using the combination to unlock it, I pushed the open side lock bolt into the door.  I was able to close and re-lock the door fine.  The problem I am having now is the safe will not reopen.  Once I turn it to the first number and try to got to the second number the dial stops as if it was on the bolt release.    
The dial spins freely in both directions UNLESS I stop on the first number and try to spin it back to the second.  It is a 2 bolt lock. Any advice is welcome.

Answer
Kyle,

There are a number of problems that could be happening with your lock, unfortunately they all require hands on diagnostics, service and repairs.

Pushing the lock bolt in could have resulted in a bolt disconnect, or the lock lever assembly may be misaligned and jammed in the lock work, which could explain why the dial stops when you try to turn it.

Generally mechanical malfunctions require a service call by a safe technician.   If the container is small enough, you may be able to take it in to a local safe company to have them check it out.   If not, they may have to come out to your location.

While it may be something simple, the lock may be jammed fairly good just as easily.

Sorry, no easy answers on this one.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)