Locksmithing/old National lock set

I have an old but beautiful National mortise lock set (4 separate pieces) on my entry door. There is the dead bolt turn (from inside), the lock cylinder (on the outside), the round door handle (on the inside) and a large ornate handle with thumb lever (on the outside) with no plate joining the pieces. I can't find any instructions for removing this to have it serviced and to paint the door. I can get the dead bolt turn off and the large handle with thumb lever off but everything else seems hung up. I removed all of the screws except one of the set screws. Any ideas? I'd guess this to be 40-50 years old. Thank you

Hello Pooniel,

The next thing to do is to remove the faceplate from the edge of the door.  Behind that is a set screw.  The set screw holds the outside cylinder in place.  Loosen but do not remove the set screw as you unscrew the outside cylinder.  You can insert your key half way and turn the key if that helps.

Once the cylinder is removed it should allow the plate around it to come off.

To help further I really need photos.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.