Locksmithing/Open safe

My father recently passed away. In the basement we found a safe, it has both dMorris-Ireland Safe Co and Hall's Safe Co on it. There is a five digit number on the handle. My mother is confident the safe is empty. I don't have the combination, how can I get it open to check? How can I find out its value so I can sell it? Once it's opened by a locksmith can they reconfigure a code so it can be used?

Hi Rachel. The five digit number is a serial number for that safe. However, those records are long gone.

Usually when a safe is delivered the combination is set for the new owner to something he will remember. Have you tried important dates in you father's life such as birthdays and anniversaries? i.e 6-29-57  June, 29 1957

A Morris Ireland is a less common safe. The value would be to someone who wants to buy it as an antique.

Look for a safe technician. Not all locksmiths are qualified to open safes. Be vary careful of someone who quotes you a low price. A competent safe tech can give you a flat rate price to open it and set a combination.

DO NOT pay someone an hourly rate to learn on your safe.

You should be able to find someone competent at savta.org and aloa.org

If it was in our area, we would charge $395 to open it plus travel.

Hope this helps you.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies