Locksmithing/Sargent and Greenleaf 6700

Question
Hi Andy,

I have a Fort Knox Guardian 600, purchased new in 1995.
It has the S&G R6700 series lock, Group2 #K, with key lock
D225 style dial.

The dial has become harder to turn over the years, seems to turn a little easier if I push in while turning and there is some play (in and out) probably .020-.030 pushing in - pulling out on the dial?

Is this a common problem (dials becoming stiff or hard to turn over time)?

Is there a service procedure to correct the problem that a DIY can handle?

Something I can service by cleaning/lubrication?

TIA,

Getting older.

Answer
John,

Generally safes require maintenance on a regular basis - annual for commercial, and every 3-5 years for residential - OR minimum - when ever you notice a problem.

As maintenance requires disassembly of the lock and/or bolt work, I DO NOT recommend this as a DIY project for the same reason I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and tools can easily result in an expensive lockout.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who i know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)