Locksmithing/Schwab vault

Question
We just moved into a home and discovered a Schwab model R1763 vault door behind a false wall in the basement.  The previous owners were aware of it but never used it as it was installed even before they owned the home. I am in the Chicago suburbs and looking for help to getting it open, hopefully without damage so it can still be used. It is a hundred number combination lock with Sargent and Greenleaf label.

Answer
David,

you basically have two options, you can try all of the possible combinations for the lock or you can contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open th door for you.

While there are around 1,000,000 possible combinations for this lock, you can try the number that it was probably set on when it left the factory, though THIS combination should have been reset when the door was installed for the original owner - other than tracking down the original owner, there will be no record of the combo set on this door.

Some factories set the locks on neutral numbers until the door is installed, and the combo set.  In your case it would have been on a single number - probably 50.  The dialing sequence for this would be:

4 times left to 50,
1 time right until the dial stops (should be around 90).

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   If the dial DOES NOT stop when you are going to the right, then the combo has been changed.

The standard dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (around 90).

If you still can't get it open, contact a local Safe company to schedule up service.   NOTE:  I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage.
If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Hope this helps

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)