Locksmithing/sentry safe

Question
After I replaced the new set of batteries, I can not open my safe even-though it show the open lock. Why?

Answer
Henry,

Unfortunately, these inexpensive safes, often have lock and/or bolt work failures.   Many of the parts are made of plastic or pot metal, which can easily jam or break.

If the electronics are showing that the lock is open, and it is not unlocking, you may have a number of problems.   The solenoid may not be retracting correctly.   If the unit has a key lock, ensure that it is properly unlocked.  Bolt work assembly, or handle cam may be broken or jammed.   Some item may have gotten caught in the door jam between the door and frame, jamming the bolt work from retracting.

Generally if it is NOT working correctly, though it shows open, you have a mechanical problem of some sort that WILL require it to be checked out by a safe technician.

Problem with these safes is that usually it cost more to have someone work on the container than it is worth.

You can also contact the factory to see if they have any solutions as well.  Their number is:   1-800-828-1438.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)