Locksmithing/sentry safe v260

I have a sentry v260 safe that was my mothers and she recently passed away. Her will is inside (and Lord only knows what else) so i need access to it asap as her funeral is in 3 days. My mother never discussed her will with my siblings and I so it is important to review it before her funeral. The problem is that I can't find the 4 sided key to open it but I do have the override key. I tried the override skeleton key but it still doesn't open. I thought that this key should open it without having to use the 4 sided one. That's why she gave me the key when she got it. I unplugged the battery pack and tried the key and still won't open. I know I can contact sentry and send in a request for the key but time is crucial at the moment. We all have been searching the house for it but no luck...any advice would be much appreciated!! P.S. is it possible to pick the lock if I used a few paper clips and fashioned a 4pronged pick?

Thank You,

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing.   Unfortunately, safe guards DO exist, to keep unauthorized people from gaining access to safes, keys, locks etc.    While these safe guards are meant to keep dishonest people from easily gaining access to your "stuff", it also means that if you lose the code, or key, or it isn't working correctly - YOU ALSO have to jump through the various hoops to get the info or keys to make it work correctly.

While I understand how this can be very upsetting to you, this safe guards are in place for security AND liability reasons.

If you don't have the time to contact Sentry to get the correct codes and/or keys to open the container, then your only alternative would be to have a safe tech from a local safe company open it for you - HOWEVER, in most cases if you are NOT the executor of your mothers estate, and/or do not have written authorization from the executor to have the safe opened, most companies are NOT going to help you out.

You have to understand that without proper documentation or authorization, I don't know who you are, and the local safe company has no idea who you are, OR what authorization YOU have, to have the container opened.

As far as information on opening the container - again for obvious security and liability reasons we DO NOT give out or explain how to open any safe or security container, other than the proper dialing sequence.

Sorry, but there is no easy answer for this one.   Unless you have documentation as the assigned executor of your mother's estate, you may have to go to court to resolve this one.

If you are the executor or have written authorization from the executor, this would be an easy fix, but you would still have to take the container to a local safe company, or have them come to you.

Hope this helps, and again - I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)