Locksmithing/re: mosler junior safe

gretchen wrote at 2012-06-23 20:23:46
Mine uses a a combination with just two numbers. Plus, the dial doesn't have to be accurate. So, turn it one way to 5 then turn it the other way and go all the way around and see if it opens. They try 10 for the first number and go all the way turning it the other way and see if it opens. You don't really need to know what that second number is. Just kind of pull outward as you spin the dial around for the second number.

Paul wrote at 2012-07-25 05:23:26
Other answer is incorrect. These toy safes were made as a gift to employees of mosler safe company in the 1950's. The dial is just two numbers. The wheels of the safe lock are round with one flat edge. When the wheel no longer blocks the door from opening, meaning, when the flat part of the wheel is vertical and no longer latching the door closed, you can pull the door open.

There are four holes in the back. Put a flashlight to one of them and your eye to another. Then turn the dial until both wheels are no longer keeping the door closed.

feel free to call a locksmith about safe stuff. If the locksmith doesn't know about safes, he or she will refer you to someone who does.

Cue-Bert wrote at 2013-11-26 05:56:35
I've owned two of exactly this same safe (Mosler Junior, black with eagle and red dial). Both shared the same combination of 49-12.

Turn dial clockwise two rotations to '49', then counterclockwise 13 ticks to '12'. I'd wager all safes of this model share the same combo.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)