Locksmithing/2 button lock

Can a door be retrofit with a 2-button system?
I recently replaced our front door and in all the design mayhem, completely forgot about making sure that the new lock would be like the old one in having the 2-button system, if that is what it is called. This is the case where the buttons are in the same face of the door as the tongue. Pushing one button in allows the door to be opened from the outside, unless deadbolt has been turned. Pushing other button pops out the first button, and means the door is locked from outside, even if deadbolt is not turned.
Is it possible to retrofit a door with such a system? This door came with a Schlage Vintage system.

Hello Judith,

It sounds like you are referring to a mortise lock with stopworks.  The Arrow AM/BM series (AM is knob/ BM is lever) has that function, although they don't have the same style of buttons they do work the same way as you describe.  There are only some functions that have that feature.  I'd suggest downloading their catalog and finding which function you need for your application then find a locksmith that sells those (or visit our site www.jmlock.com to purchase).

Arrow: http://www.arrowlock.com/en/site/arrowlock/Products/?groupId=835827

There are other manufacturers that have that function but Schlage wasn't one of them catalog.

Corbin has it: http://www.corbinrusswin.com/en/site/corbin-russwin/Product-Information/?groupId

Sargent has it: http://www.sargentlock.com/products/product_overview.php?item_id=23

Yale has it: (you have to download their catalog for details) http://extranet.assaabloydss.com/library/catalogs/Yale/pdf/42002%20YA%208800%201

As for retrofitting to your existing lock, I don't know how easy or complicated it will be without knowing what a Schlage Vintage is, that's one I'm not familiar with.

The above links will show you the catalogs for each manufacturer but there are also downloads to show how the doors must be prepared for each specific brand.

Since there are many different styles and finishes available among each manufacturer you may want to view all of them to find the one that you like the most, check the function you need as there are many (some functions don't have the stopworks), then get prices & availability on a few different ones before you decide for certain.

Let me know if you need anything further.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.