Locksmithing/Diebold floor safe

Question
QUESTION: The lid on this floor safe, because of its age, only works now and then. Its become sloppy and needs to be tightened up so it will work again. Diebold came out and couldn't help. I called Sentry because they still make round floor safes. I thought they may have just a new lid that would fit the old Diebold can. They claim they didn't? This doesn't seem like that big of job. Two local locksmiths can't help. The unit is in great shape. Where do I go from here.? The Diebold # on the bottom of the lid is 899002. They call it a Relocking Device #

ANSWER: Mitch,

I'm assuming that you are talking about an "IN" the floor round lift out door, safe.   If you are not, then I may need to see what you have to continue.   First though we will go through your presentation of the facts;

I can see a number of problems with what you have done so far, I'm not sure who came out from Diebold, but I hope you didn't pay them.   If they were an actual Diebold rep, they would or should have told you up front that the majority of Diebold round doors have been obsolete for years and parts are not available.   So other than possibly servicing your door, they wouldn't have been able to do anything.

Second problem is assuming that another companies doors would fit, just because they make a similar item.   That would be like expecting a specific part made for a Toyota to fit a Ford, simply because they are both auto's.

Next problem is contacting "locksmiths" to work on a safe.   Locksmiths generally do not have the knowledge, training or tools to work on safes.   You need a trained safe technician from a safe company.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the unit is in great shape", if it is obsolete, parts are not available, and it doesn't work???   Something doesn't add up.

The tag on the bottom has NOTHING to do with the door or operating device, it is only indicating that the unit has a UL approved relocking device attached.

As far as your door goes, IF there is a mechanical problem or parts of the locking mechanism are broken, then you may have a dead door - again, very, very few parts are still available for Diebold round doors.   Some items can be repaired, but as most of the parts in these doors are made of a ZAMAC type material (zinc aluminum), welding or repairing may not be an option.

Only a couple companies still make round doors for safes, but like most companies they are ALL very manufacture specific, and NOT interchangeable.   This leaves you with a couple choices - first take the door to a safe company to have a trained safe technician evaluate the door, coming up with WHAT the actual problem is, and WHAT solutions might be available.

Second solution would be to remove it and install a new floor safe.
While you could obtain a new door and neck for your safe, and have it welded onto the top of your safe, so that you would have a door that fits, this would allow you to continue to use the safe, with the new door, however the safe would stick up about 5-6" higher than it currently does.

Third solution would be to concrete over it.

Now before you decide to use it as a boat anchor, lets go back to our first solution, take the door to a safe company.   If you don't have a local company that is competent, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.   If there is no one available, you can always send the door to me to look at.    If it is at all possible to repair the door, I will make every effort, but you also need to understand that your door may be on deaths doorstep (so to speak).   It may be time to start looking for a replacement.

QUESTION: my zip code is 34223

Answer
Mitch,

Wow, I don't have anybody in your immediate area that I would recommend, but I will give you some companies that aren't too far away.

Worldwide Safe & Vault
305-477-9266
3660 N.W. 115 Ave
Miami, FL 33178

Harwood's Miami Safe Co., Inc.
305-262-6762
7350 SW 45 St.
Miami, FL 33155

International Safe & Vault Services
352-362-1782
1515 NE 32nd Ave
Ocala, Fl  34470

Safe Services
727-462-0238
2028 Gentry St.
Clearwater, Fl  33765

I've tried to give you some "real" safe companies that aren't too far away.   Most companies that specialize in safes are willing to travel.   Hopefully one of these companies will be able to help you.   While I think that there are several solutions possible, depending on how agreeable you are to changing the head of the safe, it will be between you and these companies what they are willing to do for you.

sorry, you aren't in Northern California - I enjoy challenges like this.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)