Locksmithing/Gary floor safe

Question
My Gary floor safe is approx. 8 inches in diameter with a combo dial dead center and a thin handle straddling the dial. At 12 o'clock on the lid is a "left,right" pointer arrow. Instructions on the cover lid state that two keys are necessary. Does that mean there is an inner door? The serial # is 57608. I have a 4 number combination but no matter what, I can't get it open. Lid has about a quarter turn of free play left or right even before I spin the dial. I'll use arbitrary numbers but the combo reads like this:   
       right 19 to triangle times 4
        left 52 to triangle times 3
       right 87 to triangle times 2
        left 22 to triangle times 1
I've also tried the combo in reverse, no luck! Is there any hope?
Do I need to have the lid left or right to start turning the dial?

Answer
Kenny,

Sounds like you have either a "V" series or "H" series door.   The correct dialing sequence for this lock would be:

4 times left to the first number (19)
3 times right to the second number (52)
2 times left to the third number (87)
1 time right until the dial stops (should be about 22).

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise.  Right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock opening index mark.

There are only three reasons a safe lock will not open, they are (in order)
1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combinations, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems.

Unfortunately, people tend to pass combo dialing sequences on the way that THEY understand them, and NOT necessarily the way that they actually work.   

As it appears from your statements, that you acquired the safe in this condition, and have never actually opened it, you can't verify whether or not these numbers (or what you have) are correct or not.   If they are not, you can dial until the cows come home and it will be of no avail.

If these are the correct numbers, and IF you are dialing it correctly, then you may have a mechanical problem.   In any case if the lock still won't open by now, it is probably time to have it checked out by a local safe technician.   And yes, chances are the safe has an inner compartment and door, that will require two keys to open it.   Hopefully they are inside of the first compartment.
If the safe has NOT been installed, you can take it to the local safe company to have it opened and repaired.   Cost are usually less than having them come to the field to open it.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)