Locksmithing/HHM safe combo change

Question
I wanted to change the combination on an old Herring Hall Marvin floor safe.  Took the dial box apart and saw that the  number plate dials were reset with a 1/8 inch square inserted in all plates at once.  I could not figure out which position the number dials should be in to unlock.  After fooling around for two and half hours, I noticed the cover plate for the dial plate box had a square hole in one corner.  Rounding my square bar stock at the correct position I was able to lock and unlock the 3 number plates by inserting the home made tool thru the box hole and the three plates all at once.  The problem is my new numbers are off by one to open the safe.

i.e. 25-50-25 needs to be dialed 26-49-26.

This means that my number plates are off one number in the clockwise direction as viewed from the front of the safe.

How do I insert the square bar without opening the number plate box and why am I off one number ??

Thanx in advance for your time on this.

Jack

PS, the bar stock cost $1.18 with tax, I wonder how much the real HHM reset key cost.

Answer
Jack,

First off, I NEVER recommend DIY projects like this for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Not having the correct tools, knowledge and/or training, can result in an expensive lock out.

There are a number of reasons that your combination is off, but knowing this is not going to help you, and training would take the better part of a week in lock operations.

You basically have three options at this point,
1.   I recommend that you have a safe technician from a local safe company, service the lock to make sure there are no problems, and to set the lock correctly.
2.   If you elect to make this a DIY project, you can either:
    A.  Live with the combination that you've set, or
    b.  make the necessary adjustments to the combination to obtain the combination that you want.   IE - (-1, +1, -1),    If you set your combination at 24 (-1) - 51 (+1) - 24 (-1), it should dial up as 25-50-25, if your measurements are correct.

NOTE:  DO NOT close and/or lock the safe door until after you have tested your new combination successfully several times.

As far as the correct changing tool, I would need to know what lock you actually have.   HHM was not and did not make locks, they were a safe manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)