Locksmithing/keep safe made by John brush co.

Question
I saw your response about a lost combination. I have one too. am trying to call but can't get thru yet. I heard that back in the day, that if you take the first number and place at the end, then use the 6 numbers in that order, that is your combination. Any truth to that? might try it while waiting.

My safe was left by former tenants and I have always wondered what if anything was in it. A locksmith would charge $300 plus in my area just to drill it open with no new combination.

Answer
Steve,

I'm not sure where you heard the rumor about switching the first and last number of the serial number would be the combination - I've been in the business for over 40 years and I've never heard that.   If it was true, it would have gotten out pretty quickly  and manufacturers wouldn't have used it for very long.
Safes wouldn't be very safe if it was that simple, and manufacturers would have been liable for any loses suffered by customers whose safes had been compromised by a stupid policy like that.

Feel free to try it out, but I wouldn't recommend holding your breath why trying it!  :)

Cost to open safes similar to this, in the field are normally in the $350 to $500 range.   The cost to get the vehicle and all the tools, the service tech, the thousands of dollars worth of tools and all the years of training most safe techs have, justify the cost.

While it doesn't seem fair that it probably costs more to have it opened than the safe is worth, you have to remember that you are NOT buying a product, you are purchasing a service.

Generally you can save some of the money by taking it into their shop to have it opened. and if you don't plan on having it repaired, would save a few more dollars, but that is up to the lock or safe company.

I generally don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.  As they usually do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes, they can cause excessive damage or charge exhorbant fees, so it might be worth checking around.

Your other option would be to try to open it yourself.   If you aren't going to have it repaired, then destroying it isn't a problem.

Sorry, I'm sure this isn't the answer you were looking for, but it is the answer.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)