Locksmithing/Mosler safe in a bank

I am considering buying a building that was once a bank.  There is an old looking Mosler door on the front of the vault.  The door is 3 feet wide, 8 feet tall and about 1.5 feet thick.  Has three separate wheels on the outside and has black hinges on stainless steel door.  It is open.  I want an estimate on how much it would cost to remove the vault and door, is there any resale/scrap value to offset the cost or should I just keep the vault as a conversation piece?  The vault appears to be about 1.5 feet think concrete and is 9 feet by 16 feet.  I was also considering taking out part of the vault (jackhammer I suppose) and leaving the wall that the hinges are on and 2-3 feet of the wall where the hinges attach, so it would look like a J with the door being the bottom part of the J.
I'm in the Lexington Kentucky area, if you have somebody in this area that could give an estimate, that would be great too.

Generally the cost to remove a door like this outweighs any value.   Installed doors have no value, until they have been removed, cleaned and restored - ready for sale.

Depending on the installation - grouted or cemented in place, it could cost $3000 to $10,000 to remove it.   Obviously without seeing the door, and how it is installed, all I can do is estimate.  You will have to have a local safe & Vault company visit the door to estimate removing it.
Depending on how the vault is built, with a simple jack hammers, you could be there for months.   You would need a concrete saw cutting company, to remove the concrete effectively.

Scrap value would depend on the door, type and weight of the steel, and quantity, but I don't believe that it would offset the cost to remove the door.

Once the door has been removed, cleaned and restored, ready for sale, then it may take months or years to find a buyer.   I've had some doors in my warehouse for years.  

Cost wise, keeping the door as a conversation piece would probably save you the most money.

I don't know of any large "safe companies" in your area that I would recommend for such a job, however you have a really good safe man in Lexington, who was the past president of the Safe & Vault Technicians Association for a number of years.   If any one knows who can do this work for you, in your area, it would be him.

J Cortie Locksmiths
859-223-2982     Joe Cortie
3844 Heimbaugh Lane
Lexington, KY 40514

Check with Joe, if he can't give you an estimate for removing the door, he should be able to recommend someone in the Kentucky area that is equipt for this type of work.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)