Locksmithing/old cary safe

Question
Hi i am a locksmith in M.A and recently had a customer of mine bring me in an old cary safe dial and lockbox that he had opened himself(destroyed).I have never worked on a cary safe before and am having a hard time finding parts and also info on the wheel pack and was wondering if you could guide me in the rite direction on what model the lockbox is and where to get parts. The wheel pack has a ser# on the back there is a y stamped above the ser# then (61068) it is a 4 wheel pack with a spoked/sproket drive wheel. Any info and help is greatly appreciated.I can get photos if the ser# is not enough. THanks again josh

Answer
Josh,

The Cary Safe Company was in business from 1878 until approximately 1929 (beginning of the great depression), in Buffalo, NY.   Generally safes are only seen around that area, and/or northern California as there was a sales agent in San Francisco selling them.   I see them quite frequently and in fact opened one yesterday, and one this morning.   Neither of which were damaged or required repairs other than cleaning, lubricating and tightening of the screws.

The serial number on the back of the wheel pack (curb) is the LOCK serial number, NOT the safe serial number.   This would probably have been for a Yale Y6 lock.   I would need the safe serial number (should be on the ball of the handle) to be certain of what lock I would expect to find on that safe.

These locks were only made for a couple companies, Cary being the main one using it.   The patent date on this lock was 1907.   The lock that replace the Y-6, was the Yale M-16, which was basically the Y-6 with a relocker trigger inside the lock housing.   Most Y-6's also had four wheels, while the M-16 had only three wheels.   They were both a gear driven, friction fence, gravity bolt, with hand changeable wheel pack.

As these locks have NOT been made since the 1920's, finding a new one will be rare indeed.   generally available locks would have been removed from older safes in bad condition.   I might have one or two in my parts room.

Send me the serial number of the safe, and a photo of what you have to:   andy@securitysafeusa.com   I'll see what I have or can help you with.

cost of these locks is usually around $500, so I hope your customer is prepared to pay for the repairs for damage he caused that was NOT necessary.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)