Locksmithing/Removing door/Winchester safe

Hello, I just purchased a 500# Winchester TS-22-11 24 gun safe, I have moved a Stack On safe that was abt the the same weight before and removed the door to reduce the weight.  This owners manual says "DO NOT REMOVE DOOR" I called and asked and they said its because there is a ball bearing in it, and would void the warranty.
Is it just a liability concern over the weight shifting and getting hurt or is the bearing in multiple pcs and would be difficult to reassemble?   Thank You

I'm not sure why it would void the warranty, other than most manufacturers have a "caveate" built into their warranties, that indicate "work done on the safe other than by a trained safe technician or locksmith, will void the warranty".

If the safe does not have internal hinges, it is a fairly easy process to remove the door when it is open.   As they have indicated, many hinges contain bushings, needle bearings, ball bearings and adjustment screws.   Taking it apart and/or reassembling it incorrectly, CAN result in a door that does not close (or open) correctly.
As far as difficulty in reassembly - this would depend on the type of bearing used, AND its condition.

If the door is pulled, AND you maintain control of any and all parts, AND you reassemble it correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.

I would also recommend that while you have it apart, you grease the hinge and bearing.   This item is one of the least serviced areas of the safe.

It isn't a liability issue, because as soon as YOU disassemble it, YOU assume all responsibility.   You will be responsible for the weight and balance of the door and the safe.

I have specially built equipment that I use to easily pull safe doors for moving (relocation), or for hinge repair and servicing.

Just as if you buy a new car, and decide to service and repair it yourself, YOU assume a certain amount of responsibility, and may void the manufacturers warranty, the same applies to your safe.    The choice is actually about whether you do the job to save money, or is having the warranty more important????

Hope this helps  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)