Locksmithing/Removing door/Winchester safe

Question
Hello, I just purchased a 500# Winchester TS-22-11 24 gun safe, I have moved a Stack On safe that was abt the the same weight before and removed the door to reduce the weight.  This owners manual says "DO NOT REMOVE DOOR" I called and asked and they said its because there is a ball bearing in it, and would void the warranty.
Is it just a liability concern over the weight shifting and getting hurt or is the bearing in multiple pcs and would be difficult to reassemble?   Thank You

Answer
Jerry,

I'm not sure why it would void the warranty, other than most manufacturers have a "caveate" built into their warranties, that indicate "work done on the safe other than by a trained safe technician or locksmith, will void the warranty".

If the safe does not have internal hinges, it is a fairly easy process to remove the door when it is open.   As they have indicated, many hinges contain bushings, needle bearings, ball bearings and adjustment screws.   Taking it apart and/or reassembling it incorrectly, CAN result in a door that does not close (or open) correctly.
As far as difficulty in reassembly - this would depend on the type of bearing used, AND its condition.

If the door is pulled, AND you maintain control of any and all parts, AND you reassemble it correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.

I would also recommend that while you have it apart, you grease the hinge and bearing.   This item is one of the least serviced areas of the safe.

It isn't a liability issue, because as soon as YOU disassemble it, YOU assume all responsibility.   You will be responsible for the weight and balance of the door and the safe.

I have specially built equipment that I use to easily pull safe doors for moving (relocation), or for hinge repair and servicing.

Just as if you buy a new car, and decide to service and repair it yourself, YOU assume a certain amount of responsibility, and may void the manufacturers warranty, the same applies to your safe.    The choice is actually about whether you do the job to save money, or is having the warranty more important????

Hope this helps  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)