Locksmithing/S&G Combination lock

Question
I reset the combination on a Remington safe about 9 years ago. I set the third number at 99, not knowing that this was not recommended. I have had no problems until recently when it refused to unlock. I normally open this safe 4 to 6 times a year. I downloaded S&G troubleshooting guide. I have checked the sound test and tried different combinations using the + and - method with no luck. Also, I have not had any service performed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answer
Dan,

I'm not sure WHAT the "sound test" refers to.

Note:   There are ONLY three reasons a safe lock will not open, they are:
1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems.

While it may be a mechanical problem, as often as you use the safe, it is more likely that you are simply dialing it incorrectly, or using the wrong numbers.

the proper dialing sequence for this lock should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.  (around 90).

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the FOURTH time the number 50 ARRIVES at the index mark.

If you still can't get it to open, it's probably time to contact a safe technician from a local safe company.   They can determine if it is a wrong number, dialing problem or mechanical problem.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)